Monday, August 20, 2012

Forever Changed... Bonner Blog #8…. Just a summary


I learned a lot about myself on this trip and grew in my faith. My heart broke and re-broke for these people. There was so much that happened and the list of incredible stories is endless.
One day we went to a government school and the kids did a drama for us where four little girls held Styrofoam signs that said “terrorism”, “child labor”, “poverty” and “illiteracy.” They handed thses sing s to us and asked if America would help India break these things. There is still so much to do, but I am so grateful for this experience. I loved encouraging the pastors and helping them serve some of the most out casted people of Chennai. I also gained a greater awareness of the intensity of these issues. I didn’t realize things were this bad. Overall, the thing I will most take away from this crazy month is that in the midst of this great darkness there is always hope. People with nothing have shown me more about true love then people with “everything” by the world’s standards. I have also been so encouraged by the people who are literally giving their lives to bring hope to the nation of India. I would really love to spend a full year serving in India at some point, in fact I promised one of the pastors that I would eventually come back and visit his city.
One of the hardest things for me physically was not what I would have expected. I expected the bugs, the heat, the lack of real showers, the odd food and the strange clothing. I did not expect to not eat a single vegetable the entire month. I was already missing running and feeling very anxious, but it was hard to also surrender my diet. It was totally worth it though. In the future, I will take way more vitamin supplements and WAY more toilet paper. I know I am leaving out so much, so if you’d like to hear more specific stories, I would love to share. Also a lot of amazing spiritual things happened on the trip and in my heart and if you’d like to hear about it let me know. Thanks for reading friends and I can’t wait to be reunited with you all soon and welcome our new Bonners! J



No comments:

Post a Comment